Collaboration

While working on my book, my students get to see my process and can ask why I make the decisions I do when putting together my artwork.  In my art 1 class, I had a ninth grade boy who probably needed some straight talk.  He's that kid that says the inappropriate things and other kids either egg on or look down on.  Of course, in my classroom the rule of thumb is "Vegas".  "What happens in Jowers' room, stays in Jowers' room".  It creates a safe space to explore creative ideas and thoughts.  We will call this student Nick.  Nick saw my book and said "you should do a page on wounds."  My first thought was..."what the heck does that mean?" and then I told him to bring me 5 images that represent his concept and I would see what I could do.  I really didn't think he would take the effort to follow thru with his comment.  Three days later, he brought me an image of a cadusas, the doctor, the red cross, a bone and the syringe.  He also brought me a band aid.  As it happened, the bone was a humerus bone, so it led to the pun "I thought this was humerus".  I painted my page to look like human skin. cut some wounds into the top page layers, got a needle and thread and sewed up the wounds letting one be a pocket for the "funny bone". I glued the syringe to cardstock and cut it out so that it can be handled.  Nick was delighted!  I'm happy to say that he is now a junior and doing so well.  he won an award for making a cutting board in shop!  he has such great self control now that he has matured a little!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Life Guard

what is your favorite food?

create some texture on your page