zombies

I used to hate zombie movies.  I hate scary movies.  I think the real world is scary enough.  That changed about 7 years ago when I saw this amazing Can Festival entry called "cargo" on you tube.  The short film was so good I started showing it to my students as "an art film"...I don't show it any more.   Then one of my students decided to showcase "the walking dead" as his subject for his semester project zig zag book.  I asked him questions and told him about my dislike of zombies.  He challenged me to watch just one episode of the "walking dead".  In my ever attempt to connect with my kiddos, I sat down and watched the first two episodes and.....I was hooked.  It was well written, not as gory as I thought it would be (actually, it was pretty gory).  I had to know what happened to Rick Grimes!  Now, I have a page in my journal dedicated to "the walking dead".  Here are some choices I made.  I used red paint, of course.  Then I got some old dress patterns and glued them to the surface.  they have the look of skin that is peeled off after a really great sunburn, and since they are clothing patterns, they stand in for human skin.  I found an old DVD jacket from the walking dead and cut out bits from it.  I got a figure from a rifle range add. She looks like she is shooting at me, so I don't know if there is a zombie behind me or I'm actually a zombie myself.  I feel pretty clever because I used a security envelope to create the double doors in the hospital.  You should check out what is inside of your bills when they come in the mail.  Security envelopes have some great designs in them (they are there so it makes it harder for people to see what is inside the envelope). I made little bloody hand prints sliding down the window pane.  One of the things about this series is the connection of things from the past.  I got an over exposed polaroid picture to represent this connection. (I put my mom and my sister's name on it.) Of course it also has a bloody fingerprint. Finally, I drew some zombies in ball point pen on the back of some more envelope. they only needed a little red paint to create the "gore".  I got a toothpick tipped in more red paint and put it into a hand I found in a magazine.  Not sure who is going to die in this page...kinda like the series!
and...Yes! I have zombie paperclips!  Two of them running and holding my polaroid into the book!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Life Guard

what is your favorite food?

create some texture on your page